Re: [Evolution] importing email folders

How can I import email folders from TBird so that
the messages in each folder end up in an evolution
directory named same as the folder name?

Why should it matter what the directory name is in the internal
evolution data store?  If you want the folders in the mailbox listing to
be specifically named, import the mail then move things around.

I need to separate my email into categories. I guess only
way to do that is to have separate direcctories to contain
those email messages. How else can I do that?? In TBird,
I do that with folders. Each folder has a distinct name.

Could you please explain what  yo mean by "move them around".
Do you mean I can create a new dir and move those messages
from the INBOX directory to a neew directory.

What do you mean by "directory"?  Do you mean a directory
underneath .evolution in your home directory in the Linux file structure
or do you mean a container in the left hand side panel in Evolution
itself?

Basically you shouldn't mess around with what's underneath ~/.evolution
unless you really know what you are doing - let Evo manage what's there
itself.  If you want to have specific folders for mail, then create them
within Evo (right click in the left hand panel and select "new folder")
and then move the email by "drag and drop" from the source folder into
the new folder.

Also, since I have a gmail account, I would like
all the subsequently created directories to live
under

/home/jd/.evolution/mail/imap/jd1008 imap gmail com:993/folders

The current Evolution menus for importing TBird mail folders does
not provide for this, at least not that I could see.

Since you are using IMAP, then surely the easiest, and probably only,
way is to import the mail into gmail, then everything will appear where
you want them to. You will not get very far, and possibly break things,
by putting mail directly into the Evolution IMAP cache copy of the mail
that actually resides on a server.

Would it be different If I changed it to POP? Would that
help me achieve what I need done?

No.  All your mail would be under "On This Computer" then.

I do need to have my existing folders in TBird to show up
in some similar way on Evo so I can browse them separately.
I have several such distinctly named folders in TBird, like

Company_X
Company_Y
Company_M
....etc

I do need this separatiom.

So create the folders by right-clicking - you can create them under the
gmail imap container if you want (and then they will appear in your
gmail account) or under "On This Computer", then they will only be
visible on that one machine.

How do I achieve it.

I am new to Evolution. Please do not assume I know what
you know. Some of the questions above seem to assume that.

I have no idea about importing things from Thunderbird - I've never done
it - but it would probably be best to import to wherever Evo wants to
put it and then create the folder structure you want and move the
messages to where they need to be.  Those who know more about importing
may be able to answer better.

P.