Re: [Evolution] IMAP vs. POP

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 05:13 -0600, Bart wrote:
Hope this is not too far off topic.

I am using pop for all my email accounts.  I receive all my mail on one
machine at one location.  But I keep seeing remarks that indicate IMAP
as being just "SO" much better.

Would someone either explain or point me to a place where I can learn
the reasons for these comments?

Bart

well....

i have some imap only mail servers and the users that use it don't
notice anything initially when they switch to it coming from pop,
usually i have to explain the difference between imap and pop.
THAT is the biggest plus i can think of considering the extra advantages
it brings of having all mail in one location available from everywhere.

most of my users are sometimes at their desktop computer, sometimes on
the road or at home using blackberry's, laptop, webmail etc..... and
e-mail is important to them, its simply a big archive with valuable
information and they simply need that information to do their business.
with POP everybody needed to call the office several times a day to ask
someone to resend an email from some weeks ago

for me as administrator it brings less problems since many email clients
have limited storage of a few Gig, i used to have exploding mailboxes on
a frequent schedule several years ago when we did pop, nowadays having
someone with 20 or 30 gig in their inbox is not uncommon (yes, i know)
besides that i can also easily make regular backups of all mailboxes and
restore them if needed