[Evolution] problems using address books

I have been using Evolution for many years now and really like it.
However the use of address books for email contacts has always been
tenuous at best. Just recently I attached my calendar to the corporate
calendar and now I find myself needing the address books for contacts
and attendees both more and more. Unfortunately, this means my tenuous
relationship with it has broken altogether.

What I have is:
  OS: Ubuntu 9.10
  WM: 2.28.1
  evo: 2.28.1
  books: private
         ldap server called Work

Symptoms:
   Contacts Window:
        When I search in the Work address book, I get a response in
        milliseconds. Well, results are in the window before the return
        key gets back to the top of its travel. I consider that pretty
        darn fast and instantaneous for all intents and purposes.

   Calendar Window:
        When I create a meeting and have to add attendees from the Work
        address book it is gawd awful slow (3 minutes!). Compare this to
        the search and the Contracts Window and I think there is
        something wrong.

        Also, once I wait my 3 minutes for a name and want another, I
        type in a new name to search for and nothing happens. I can hit
        return all day long and nothing. I actually have to select my
        private address book and then go back to Work. 3 minutes later I
        will have list of names to choose from.

   Email Window:
        Using the contacts dialog from To, CC, or BCC has the exact same
        behavior as the attendees dialog from the calendar.

What I have tried:

1. Copy the ldap locally through the configuration in the address book.
2. Restarted evolution between various setting in the address book.
3. Search the web for a solution (google).
4. Search this mailing list for a solution.

So, does anyone have an idea why it is so slow? Anyone want to give me
hints on how to track the problem down? I figure it has to be a shared
resource between the attendee dialog and email contacts dialog and was
hoping someone would tell me so that I could start there.

Thanks for any and all help in advance.

--
Al Niessner
818.354.0859