Re: [Evolution] Setting up Evolution behind a university firewall

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 15:18 +0530, Varun Paliwal wrote:
I am currently behind a university proxy (squid) server and all access
to the internet has to go  through it. How do i configure evolution to
be able to access my gmail account via the proxy server?
As far i searched online, it seems evolution can only connect via a
direct connection to the internet and there is no way to input any
proxy settings.

I am using version 2.22.3.1 of Evolution and there is no Network
Preferences tab in the Edit->Preferences.
I am using Debian 5.04

I have set the correct proxy in system preferences but evolution
doesn't seem to be reading from there.

Can someone please help?

        Hi,
there is not much help, otherwise you would receive a reply on your
previous two mails. That you do not receive a reply doesn't mean people
are ignoring you, it means nobody knows. Usually.

Anyway, even with "Network Preferences" tab it will not work, as it is
working for "all" but mailer parts of Evolution, if I recall correctly.
I'm not much knowledgeable on this, but try to use some local tunnel or
something like that, which will use the system proxy, and in evolution,
instead of connecting to the remote server connect to that tunnel.
I guess it should work, but I do not know how to do that. I'm sorry.
        Bye,
        Milan