Re: [Evolution] Evolution Process using > 600 MiB of RAM

On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 17:29 -0400, Eric Morey wrote:
Hello,

I've routinely experienced in recent weeks that the evolution process on
my system is using more than 600 MiB of RAM according to the system
monitor application in Ubuntu. Why is this so? Is this normal for others
using evolution?

That would depend on what you're measuring. If it's 600MB exclusively in
Evo, it sounds high. If it includes shared libraries from Gnome, not so
much. Do you see the memory usage growing significantly over time?

I have Evo running constantly on its own desktop and currently it uses
about 270MB resident memory.

I've noticed this recently since I've started using pidgin IM Client on
a regular basis. Could this be connected somhow?

I don't see why why it should.

I'm not sure how to diagnose this issue. I found a mailing list thread
thread from 2002 in a search for "evolution email memory" online. [1] It
seemed to be related to my experience. I also subscribe to a number of
mailing lists via IMAP and sort each list to its own folder. I use
fastmail.fm for my mail server and use their email filtering to sort
mail before I access it locally through evolution. There was some
discussion on the thread about vfolders that I did not understand. What
is a vFolder? I couldn't tell you if I was using one or not.

A vFolder is a search folder, i.e. a view of one of more other folders
defined by a search expression (similar to a filter). It's not physical
-- you won't see it on your IMAP server for example -- but it's an
important part of Evo since both Trash and Junk are vFolders, not to
mention any you define yourself.

poc