Re: [Evolution] Removing attachments

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 08:35 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 17:51 +0530, Sarfraaz Ahmed wrote:

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 2:20 PM, RZ <news4r gmail com> wrote:
        Hi,
        I'd like to know if there's any way of removing an attachment
        from a received email. I'd like to save the attachment
        somewhere and then delete it from the email to save space.

Quite a silly suggestion.

Not at all. Several popular mail clients allow this, e.g. Claws. IIRC
it's supported by the IMAP protocol.

1. Save the attachment on your local hard disk
2. Forward the mail to yourself [ make sure you delete the attachment
from the email this time.] You could also do a reply to yourself,
instead of a forward.
3. Delete the original mail.

The problem with doing this is that you no longer have the original mail
but a copy with different source, arrival date etc. It's a kludge.

Of course the counter-argument is that by deleting the attachment you
don't have the original mail either. This is probably not important
unless the original is cryptographically signed, since the removal will
of course invalidate the signature. As long as the user is aware of
this, I don't see the problem.

poc

I use a local maildir to store my mails (retrieved through offlineimap)
and I'd just remove that part of the text file. Of course that probably
wouldn't help the OP, but its something which can be considered, I
guess. Not sure whether it would corrupt the mail, but I doubt so.