From: Leonard Evens <len math northwestern edu>
To: david <david ransier com>
Cc: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] cannot send email
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:02:01 -0500

On Sat, 2009-10-24 at 08:37 -0800, david wrote:
In the last week I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on one of my older PCs (Athlon64 CPU). It's been a while but I'm
familiar with Linux and Unix.

I'm trying to use Evolution email. (I'm new to Evolution.) The incoming email is working OK, but outgoing
fails to connect.

I've mirrored the connection information with my Windows PC - SMTP with Login.

I can Ping the smtp server, but email will not connect. If I click the button under authentication to Check
for Authentication Types, it eventually times out. Though the same button under receiving email works
correctly.

I did scan the bug list and tried the suggestion to delete my outgoing mail and create a fresh one. The
assumption being the outgoing mail may have been malformed. No change.

Thanks for any help,
David Ransier

Are you using Comcast for your internet connection?   If so, your
outgoing mail server has to be listening on port 587, and you have to
configure evolution to send to that port.  The default is port 25, but
Comcast, and possibly other ISPs, is blocking traffic using port 25.
They claim they do so to block spam.  They may or may not notify you
that they are doing it.

To configure evolution to use port 587,  you add :587 at the end of the
address of the outgoing mail server in evolution's configuration.
configuration file.