Re: [Evolution] cannot send email

On Sat, 2009-10-24 at 14:26 -0800, david wrote:
In the last week I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on one of my older PCs (Athlon64 CPU). It's been a while but I'm
familiar with Linux and Unix.

 I'm trying to use Evolution email. (I'm new to Evolution.) The incoming email is working OK, but outgoing
fails to connect.

 I've mirrored the connection information with my Windows PC - SMTP with Login.

 I can Ping the smtp server, but email will not connect. If I click the button under authentication to
Check for Authentication Types, it eventually times out. Though the same button under receiving email works
correctly.

Is the server using the standard SMTP port (25)? Try telnetting to that
port and see if it responds. Did you try directly selecting the
autentication type as Login rather than asking Evo to check?

poc