Re: [Evolution] removing my name from mailing list

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 10:45 -0500, Matthew Barnes wrote:
On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 10:31 -0500, Reid Thompson wrote:
if you go to the url listed above, it provides the necessary information
for you to unsubscribe.
I don't have any control over this myself, but do you think these
frequent unsubscribe requests would be mitigated by changing the footer
to read something like:

Maybe, but I believe these kinds of people never read the messages.
They certainly didn't read their initial subscription message.

What works pretty well for me is to create a SIEVE rule where all
messages with a List-Id header and a subject containing "unsubscribe"
are discarded.  Otherwise it is rather irritating if you are on several
lists.

Maybe the list software [or even the MTA] can generate a bounce message
back to any user who posts a message with "unsubscribe" in the subject
that says something along the lines of "If your message was a request to
be unsubscribed from this list please see the instructions at
http://xxxxx.  Otherwise you may ignore this message, this is merely an
automated assistance message."  I'd wager that would be much more
successful.  How often to legitimate message have "unsubscribe" in the
subject?

It's the same footer for all GNOME mailing lists, so I'd have to talk to
the infrastructure guys about it.  But is that wording clear enough or
do you have any alternate suggestions?