Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 08:54:30 -0430
From: Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve>
To: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Splitting Mbox

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 16:53 +0530, Bharath C J wrote:
Hi,

I have 3 folder which are more than 2.0GB and I am unable to access
them... including my 'sent' folder. When ever I send a mail I get
error -

Error while performing operation.
Failed to append to mbox:/home/bharath/.evolution/mail/local#Sent:
Cannot get folder `Sent': Value too large for defined data type
Appending to local `Sent' folder instead.

I am not a techie... I tried formail...gplsit and other scipts to
split the Mbox... but have not been successful.

Please guide me to split Mbox in a simple way.

mbox folders are just text files with the messages concatenated one
after the other. You can split them with any text editor (vi, emacs,
nedit, kate, ...). Take a look at one of them and it will obvious how to
do it. Just edit the file, move to a point say half-way through, put the
cursor just before the next message, copy everything from the beginning
up to that point, open a new file mbox1 and paste, remove the copied
material from the original, save the remainder as mbox2.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox

poc

------------------------------

Message: 5
El d?a Thursday, November 05, 2009 a las 08:54:30AM -0430, Patrick
O'Callaghan escribi?:

mbox folders are just text files with the messages concatenated one
after the other. You can split them with any text editor (vi, emacs,
nedit, kate, ...). Take a look at one of them and it will obvious how to
do it. Just edit the file, move to a point say half-way through, put the
cursor just before the next message, copy everything from the beginning
up to that point, open a new file mbox1 and paste, remove the copied
material from the original, save the remainder as mbox2.

Would be nice if there would be a tool which also keeps the threads in
one file; I know I could do it with 'mutt' (thread sorting the Mbox,
tagging from top to down certain messages and saving them), but a cmd
line tool would be better.

I will run into the same 2GByte trouble too, because I'm keeping with a
filter any incoming message in a local folder 'backupIncoming' because our
Exchange server is emptying the trash every now and then :-(

      matthias

--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211
[...]

perhaps convert your backup folder to maildir format