Re: [Evolution] Own project / idea for Google summer of code 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 08:01:11AM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: evolution-list-bounces gnome org <evolution-list-bounces gnome org>
To: evolution-list gnome org <evolution-list gnome org>
Sent: Sat Mar 28 06:04:56 2009
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Own project / idea for Google summer of code 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 04:41:23PM +0000, Art Alexion wrote:
On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 09:17 -0400, Chris G wrote:
Yes, so do I!  I use xubuntu so I'm not fully Gnome but Gnome
applications such as Evolution are fully supported.

I would be most appreciative if someone can clear this up for me, as a
co-worker also uses Evolution and other Gnome apps in Xfce.

It has always been my understanding that once one launches a Gnome app,
like Evo or Nautilus, in Xfce that the gnome libs are loaded into
memory, and you may as well be running full Gnome, resource wise.

Is that true?

Yes, except that when you install something like Evolution in xfce it
only installs those libraries it actually needs.  So, depending on
which bits of Gnome you use, there will be more or less library
baggage brought in with it.

I don't run xfce because of its lower hardware requirements, I just
like the cleaner/leaner way it works.  My system is very new, has an
Intel Quad core processor and 8Gb of memory so the odd extra library
being loaded isn't really an issue.

I only asked because I tried xfce at his suggestion and found that I needed to run a gnome app to get any
work done. That being the case, I figured I may as well be running gnome right up front. My theory was that
doing anything serious in xfce was more resource intensive than just running gnome, because you were
running the gnome libs ON TOP of the xfce libs.

He doesn't NEED to run a low resource desktop either, but says he prefers to. I don't think he really is.

I meant I prefer the xfce user interface not that I preferred to use
less resources, as I said I really don't push my hardware very hard at all.

I also run some KDE applications (e.g. digikam) so I have much of the
the KDE libraries installed too.

I'm sure this is the way most people do things isn't it?  Decide which
user interface (or just the look) that they prefer and then install
the applications they prefer without worrying too much about whether
they are Gnome apps, KDE apps or whatever.

--
Chris Green