Re: [Evolution] Need help fixing corrupt folders/indexes?

----- Original Message ----

From: Patrick O'Callaghan <poc usb ve>
To: evolution-list gnome org
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 10:27:10 AM
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Need help fixing corrupt folders/indexes?

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 09:08 -0800, Simon Roberts wrote:
Hi all,

I've been suffering very slow startup times by
evolution mail recently, and I
see headers for emails, and I see emails, but the two don't match.

I concluded that the indexes on my inbox are messed up.

I found in the FAQ this suggestion, which seemed like a good way to get the
indexes cleaned up.

Why do I get an error "Summary and folder mismatch, even after a sync"?
If you get an error popup like:
"Error while Expunging folder. Error storing
`~/.evolution/mail/local/Inbox (mbox)': Summary and folder mismatch,
even after a sync.". Try the following operations:
    * Stop evolution completly with the command "evolution --force-shutdown"
    * Remove the corresponding files with the file ending
".ev-summary" and ".ibex.index", in this example you should remove the
file "~/.evolution/mail/local/Inbox.ev-summary" and
"~/.evolution/mail/local/Inbox.idex.index".
    * Restart evolution, it will be slow to come up because it recreates the
indexes. Well, I did that, and now it doesn't come up "ever" that is, I started
it, and it gave it's usual messages  about "storing folder 2% complete" and 18
hours later, it's still saying the exact same thing.

Help please :) I'd really like to get my inbox back if I can, and no, last
week's backup isn't much use, because all this week's emails aren't in it!

BTW, this is Evolution 2.22.1.1 on OpenSuSE 11.0.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

2.22 is a bit old. If possible, upgrade to version 2.24.3 (released a
few days ago). It seems to have improvements in several areas that could
help you.

poc

That might be true, but the idea of upgrading while the database is corrupt seems perilous indeed...

I really think I need to stabilize the dataset first.

By the way, I notice something else. (And a little more history). I had not bothered to expunge my trash,
being the paranoid type (paranoid about lawyers :) but I got bored of carrying 70,000 old, and mostly junk,
emails around, so I did so not long ago (after the start of the slow behavior, and after the first occurences
of strange headers, but before this--seemingly unrecoverable--situation.) Now, looking at my backup, I notice
that the Inbox file (which should contain less than 200 emails) is some 1.5GB (yes, gigabytes) in size. Not
only that, but the mails it contains include a huge proportion of deleted, and junk stuff.

So, it appears that somewhere along the line, my trash and my Inbox were one. Perhaps this is "normal"? I can
conceive of making a trashbox simply by flagging a mail as deleted, though I'm obviously disappointed if
thats the case here as it suggests a possibly insurmountable task to separate the two again!

Any other thoughts?

Many thanks,
Simon