Re: [Evolution] Calendar sharing/synchronizing between two linux machines linked to the same wifi hub

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:37:05 +0000
Han Pilmeyer <pilux pilmeyer nl> wrote:

On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 10:15 -0400, Peter N. Spotts wrote:

Odd question: How might I go about sharing, or even synchronizing,
Evolution calendars on two machines here at home? I have one laptop
that I use for most personal stuff, as well as for professional
activities. I have a second, older laptop dedicated to ham-radio
activities. And I run Evolution no both.

I'd like to be able to get reminders of any event on either machine,
but without having to manually reenter everything. Both share the
same wifi hub; and I have been able to swap files using SSH. So I
may be part way to my goal already.

I suppose I could copy the calendar material from one machine to the
other periodically. But I suspect there may be a better way.

Any thoughts? I'm using Evo 2.26.1 on each machine, with Ubuntu 9.04
(32 bit) on the old machine, and 9.04 (64-bit) on the newer laptop.

Have you considered adding a new non-local calendar such as CalDAV or
Google? I'm syncing with a google calendar which seems to work
reasonable well. I do have a few issues with time zones and recurring
entries, but overal it works well.

--
Han Pilmeyer
pilux_at_pilmeyer_dot_nl

Han,

A belated thanks for the tip. I've started using it and it seems to
work sometimes with one or the other, but not both. Part of my problem
at the moment is figuring out the best calendar to use for originating
an entry. I should say that I've also set up Google's calendar to sync
with my Blackberry. It seems as though Google and Evolution on one
laptop sync, but the calendar entries I originate on Google fail to
show up on Evolution on the second laptop.

Anyway, thanks again for your response!

With best regards,

Pete

--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter
The Christian Science Monitor

"The knack of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
            -- Douglas Adams, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"