Re: [Evolution] (no subject)

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 18:09 -0400, Dinbandhu wrote:
But if the procedure works on other computers, then why would we think
there is a bug involved?

Because the error message is from deep in a library routine and mentions
trying to allocate an absurd amount of memory. It *is* a bug. The
trigger for the bug may be in an external file, but it's still a bug for
Evo to collapse in this way. Apps are supposed to check their inputs and
behave sensibly, even if it's just to give the user a meaningful error
message.

 i.e. if it were something systemic, then wouldn't we expect many
people to be affected? This OS is 8.10, and so quite established. I am
not using Jaunty.  Could it be something that happens when one tries
to move from a 32bit to a 64bit system?

That appears to be the case. Something about incompatible file formats
between older and newer versions of Evo when the machine architecture
also changes. In other words, a bug.

poc