Re: [Evolution] how to setup a different path of '.evolution' directory

(Please stop posting to this list in HTML. It makes it very hard to edit
the reply properly.)

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 23:55 -0700, Muhammad Sharfuddin wrote:
Just be aware that storing mail folders on NFS servers is widely
regarded as a bad idea because of locking issues.
thanks and agreed upon the technical reason.
but you know we have almost 70 users that have configured the Outlook
to save their emails on a network drive "Z",  which is a share folder
on a windows 2003 file server, and we are so happy with it(no issue
faced yet regarding network based setup)
If you use maildir as
the storage format you should be OK
you mean instead of Evo default(mbox) if I use 'maildir' then
its(network based storage) save ?
Is there any benefit of using 'mbox' over 'maildir' ?

My comment was specifically about NFS. Using a network drive under
Windows has nothing to do with this. In any case, if you want your users
to continue to use the Windows fileserver, you want Samba, not NFS.
Setting up Samba is outside the scope of this list but there's plenty of
help out there if you look for it.

Regarding mbox, the only benefit of the format is that it's the lowest
common denominator, i.e. every Linux/Unix mail client supports it.
However I would expect that accessing large mbox files over a network to
be quite inefficient. Unfortunately Evo support for maildir seems to
have stalled in recent versions. Other people can speak to this, but my
remote mailstore is on an IMAP server, not a shared filesystem, and this
is IMHO the preferred way of doing it.

poc