Re: [Evolution] Gmail, IMAP and Evolution Filters

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 09:54 -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 18:41 -0400, Jongi wrote:
Hi there,

I am going to compare this to how Thunderbird (TB) handles the same
setup. I am a subscriber to a mythtv list which has subject that
starts
with [mythtv-users]. So I have a TB filter (which is on IMAP) that
states that if the subject contains [mythtv-users], it Must be moved
a folder GMail/MythTV (not GMail/Gmail/MythTV). TB does this without
fuss very quickly.

The same setup with Evolution creates a loop where Evolution is
constantly "Filtering new messages". By this I mean as soon as it
reaches 100%, it starts all over again. Now I live in a country where
bandwidth is expensive so this concerns me. So even if Evolution
actually does one download process, why does it take so long to
process.
For instance it has taken well over 30 minutes to process 6 messages.
TB
would have done this in less than 1 minute I suspect.

I have set up the options between TB and Evolution to be the same as
well.

Please help me as I want to move away from TB and use Evolution.

System: Debian Lenny/Sid (32-bit)and Evolution 2.22.3.1

This may not directly answer your question, but I think will provide a
solution.

Let gmail do your filtering.  Don't use the client (whether evo or
tbird) to filter gmail.  Gmail's folders are really virtual based on
labels.  It handles filtering more efficiently and in a way that is
compatible with their virtual nature than the client.  It will also save
you bandwidth.

Also, be aware that a mail item in gmail can have multiple labels, and
therefore, appear in multiple folders.  Unless in trash or junk, they
also appear in All Mail.  Keep this in mind when choosing whether to
copy or move a message.

You may also want to check "Properties->Check for New Mail in This
Folder" for each of the filter target folders.

poc