[Evolution] Using port 993 instead of 143

Ubuntu 8.10 / Evolution 2.24.1  / Courier imap server

On my mail server I have port 993 open through my firewall but not
port 143.

Our iPhones connect via port 993 without any problems.  iPhones can
send and receive mail fine.

I have Evolution configured for TLS Encryption for both receiving and
sending options.  Evolution tries to connect to port 143 and
then gives up when it can't connect.

I see this very old related bug from early 2006:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bug/36164

And I see this message that says to add :993 to the host name.

http://www.mail-archive.com/evolution lists ximian com/msg16497.html

Now, with adding :993 to the host names in Evolution config I can see
with Wireshark the attempted connections to port 993 (imaps).  I see
the SYN to the mail server, then the SYN,ACK in return and then
finally the ACK from Evolution back to the mail server.  Then it
stops.

Any ideas why it halts there?  I will note that I have self-signed
cert, but I don't see it even getting to the point of SSL negotiation.

If I open up port 143 on my mail server's firewall then Evolution
works fine (w/o the :993) on the host names.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley hank org