Re: [Evolution] Top-posting in Evolution

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 18:09 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
Given that top-posting is frowned on by many list users, is it not
ironic that Evolution encourages it? I can't believe this hasn't been
raised before, but I can't find any previous discussion of it, just
plenty of complaints about top-posters.

On the contrary, we've gone round and round about this in one bug after
the other.  I personally think it's rather silly, but users seem quite
passionate about where the cursor should go.

Current consensus is that since many bottom posters still like to place
a greeting at the top, we leave the cursor at the top.  Also, placing
the cursor at the top encourages bottom posters to use selective quoting
rather than quoting the sender's entire email (or mailing list digest,
as the case may be).

The initial cursor position is not going to change people's habits.  Top
posters will continue to top post and bottom posters will continue to
grumble no matter what we do.

Matthew Barnes