[Evolution] imap folders

I migrated all of my local mail to a home imap mail server hoping to
reduce the size of my .evolution directory.
But, this is not the case, every single email that I moved from the
local storage to the imap server now exists in
my .evolution/mail/imap/account directory.

Is there a way to reduce how much of the mail is cached?
the automatically sync remote mail box is not checked.

this is an older evolution 2.6.0 on SuSE SLED10, but I see the same
behavior on my co-workers gentoo box with 2.12.3

--
Todd Ness