Re: [Evolution] Expunging

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 20:58 +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
I assume this question has been asked before, maybe it is even in some
FAQ. I am short of disk space and ~/.evolution is the main cause of
this. Trying to reduce the size of folders I delete a lot of mails, but
the largest folders cannot be expunged due to the lack of disk space. Is
there an option where I can expunge mail folders without a backup copy
is created (or similar happening, remaining disk is reduced before being
increased)?

If you're talking about mbox-style folders (you don't say) then
expunging necessarily requires making a copy, though the size of the
copy depends on the space occupied by the remaining emails. This is
because an mbox folder is a single large file and Linux doesn't support
taking space away from the middle of a file. Although copying in-place
would theoretically work, that would be dangerous if interrupted and Evo
doesn't do it.

poc