[Evolution] no sasl bind to ldap for address book?

I have been trying to figure out why evolution keeps prompting me for a
password to access my LDAP address books even though I have a GSSAPI
SASL mechanism configured on my LDAP server, and I have even forced it
to be the only supported mechanism:

$ ldapsearch -h linux -s "base" -b "" supportedSASLMechanisms
SASL/GSSAPI authentication started
SASL username: brian ILINX
SASL SSF: 56
SASL data security layer installed.
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <> with scope baseObject
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: supportedSASLMechanisms
#

#
dn:
supportedSASLMechanisms: GSSAPI

# search result
search: 5
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1

The problem seems to be that when evolution binds to the ldap server for
the address book, it uses a simple bind rather than a SASL bind.

Is there any way to change this?

b.