[Evolution] Evolution 2.12--very slow retrieving emails

My PC (Athlon 64 3000+, 1 GB memory) is running Evolution 2.12.0
installed from openSUSE 10.3, (GNOME 2.20.0, 2.6.22.17-0.1 Linux
Kernal).

When I manually click "Get Mail," the process takes a very long time,
even to retrieve one short text message. Sending a message goes at a
reasonable pace. My Internet connection is DSL. Evolution has three POP
e-mail accounts configured, with Spamassasin junk plugin installed
(remote tests is turned off).

Any advice to speed up message retrieval will be appreciated.