[Evolution] Trouble setting up 2.12 to work with local delivery

Folks,

I'm using Evo 2.12 on Ubunty Gutsy beta. Instead of drawing in my email
directly into Evo using pop3 settings, I've tried to set Evo up to use
local delivery. When I try to configure the path, the dialog allows me
to get as far as /var/spool/mail. But it doesn't recognize the mbox file
there with my user name (the only one in the folder). It's shaded out.
I've tried changing the permissions on the file, and on the string of
folders leading to it. But to no avail. I can see that
fetchmail/procmail is tacking new mail onto the mbox file. But when I
try to pull that email into Evolution, I get an error message that
reads:

"Could not open mail file /var/spool/mail: Is a directory"

Well, I know it's a directory. I recall that when set to "local
delivery," 2.10 recognized the users file inside that directory without
blinking, as it were. The only other way I can get this to work is if I
use the settings that store my local email in a new series of folders
in  /var/spool/mail. And I don't want to do that if I can avoid it...

It there a workaround for this, other than going back to using pop3
settings? Or is there some blatantly obvious setting that I've
overlooked?

With best regards,

Pete
--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter
The Christian Science Monitor

"The knack of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
            -- Douglas Adams, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"