Re: [Evolution] Bug

On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 11:11 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 08:22 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
I'm missing something here. How can Evo "try to display the message"
when the CPU is idle? When the CPU is idle nobody is doing anything
except waiting.

You're being far too literal.

Sure, but sometimes you have to ask a naive question to get at what is
really meant.

What I mean is, if you don't notice any serious activity on the CPU
(using a monitor applet or similar).  Displaying a straightforward
message should not take a detectable amount of CPU on any reasonably
modern computer.

If it's the bug I referenced, then it will take a long time to display,
AND during all that time your CPU usage for Evolution (visible via top
or whatever) will be high: 50% or greater.  Even over 90%, possibly.

Now that version I understood. In the first version, you said "the CPU
must be active *while* Evo tries to display the message" (my emphasis),
which I misinterpreted to mean "doing something else at the instant in
which Evo starts to try and display the message", not "overactive once
Evo starts trying to display the message". Sorry for the confusion, but
English can be ambiguous :-)

I've also had another, different situation where when I click on a new
email, I get a "Receiving email ..." in the lower part of the Evo window
and it takes 20s or so to show up, but during this time you don't notice
any real CPU activity.  What I'm saying is that's not the same thing.

I get that too.

poc