From: Veerapuram Varadhan [mailto:vvaradhan novell com]
Sent: Wed 5/23/2007 4:45 PM
To: Jeremy Manser
Cc: Reid Thompson ateb com; evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] documentation  / details

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 14:33 +0100, Jeremy Manser wrote:
> There have been a few replies to this, saying exchange works, but
> simply saying it works doesn't really help.
> Is that a local exchange server or remote?
> I have the problem of exchange being remote and also being a shared /
> hosted exchange server.

> I don't have an option to put in the URL of the OWA so it cannot find
> the server.
> Given that there are no docs for anything past version 2.4 can anyone
> shed any light on the difference in the exchange config area as my
> dialog boxes for exchange access don't match the documentation.
>
> Altogether, i think that the exchange side of things is both flakey
> and massively under documented.
> Additionally i think that the lack of a decent alternative to exchange
> and the lack of desire to make use of exchange is what is keeping
> companies from using linux on the desktop ... it is certainly the only
> thing stopping the company where i work moving over.
>
> Although i love linux on the desktop, i cannot see it ever conquering
> the desktop with basic issues like this still existing.
> I have been trying to find an alternative to Outlook Web Access for 8
> weeks now... its really quite an embarrassment to linux as a whole in
> my view.

http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/documentation.shtml has
Evolution 2.6 documentation.  Also, nothing w.r.t configuration is
changed since 2.4.  In order to be able to configure an exchange
account, one has to have the "Exchange operations" plugin enabled.
Check Edit->Plugins menu.

Once this is enabled, user will get options to enter OWA url and
username.

2.10 and current SVN are much improved versions compared to our past
releases.  We are consistently working on improving exchange
connectivity and 2.4 was a re-design phase for us.

Feel free to ping me/us for anything w.r.t Exchange.  We would love to
help you out.

HTH,

V. Varadhan