[Evolution] Global Address List search criteria

Hello all,

after some troubles to setup Global Address List on Exchange Server
(resolved >>turning off the Exchange Operation plug-in<< and simple
entering in "Global Address Book/Active Directory" the name of our ldap
server)
now I get TOO MANY results ...

Our University has more than 120.000 active students, 5000 employee and
more than 250.000 "dead" students, so, "name starts with or email starts
with" are impracticable.

I can't figure out to filter in advanced search criteria.

Should I use ldap syntax, regexp syntax or what else ?

Something like "(&(givenName=Diego)(surName=Cimarosa))" produces no
results.

I'd like filtering for "Job", "Department" and so on ..

No help from Google and evolution26.pdf manual ...

Any suggestions and examples ?

Thanks in advance,

Diego

Ciao!