[Evolution] E-mail tracking - workflow inquiry

I'm using Evolution 2.10.1 and I'd like to hear the community's view on
best practices for my current workflow.

In particular, I would like to hear how you keep all your pending e-mail
at a glance. That is, how you track unread e-mail (this one is easy by
default), but also e-mail you have read, but still need to act upon. For
instance, sometimes I need to reply to an e-mail, but I have to wait to
get some information from a third-party, or I'm waiting for an answer to
an e-mail and I don't want to forget, or I need to work on a request and
then get back to the sender. I like to keep these e-mails handy until I
can fully process them.

I receive e-mail from several e-mail accounts through POP3 and local
delivery. E-mail is moved to different folders according to mailing list
and source account; I leave the main inbox for personal e-mail and have
a subfolder for my corporate e-mail. I don't have any remote folders at
the time.

I used to mark pending e-mail as unread, but that proved unmanageable
whenever I had 30 of those and new e-mail arrived. I would accidentally
mark some as read, or miss _really_ unread incoming e-mail.

Currently, I have created a virtual folder so I can track the e-mail
that I haven't read and that is pending a response. The folder groups
unread messages, messages I mark with with the Important tag, those
marked as "Follow Up" and last those with the "Pending task" label. I
spend about 95% of the time I use Evolution in that folder, leaving
aside mail reading and composing, of course.

My current workflow works, but I'm having a problem that makes me
question this approach. Namely the fact that Evolution allocates several
hundreds of megabytes for its process. More so if you include EDS. I've
read that virtual folders could be the origin of the huge memory usage,
so I'm trying to get rid of them or, at least, avoid having a single
virtual folder that pulls all the mailboxes.

Looking forward to your input.
--
Javier Kohen <jkohen users sourceforge net>
ICQ: blashyrkh #2361802