Re: [Evolution] Persistent intermitent Compose widow freeze ??

Hi Ritesh;

On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 01:26 +0530, Ritesh Khadgaray wrote:
On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 15:22 -0400, William Case wrote:
Hi;

Has anyone else had this problem?  Is it a bug?

Every now and them my compose window freezes and freezes all other
applications on my machine.  My hard drive comes on and continues to run
for no apparent reason.  The CPU does not seem to be being used but can
only recognize a keyboard or mouse command every 10 - 30 seconds or so.
Is there a way to reproduce this reliably ?

No.  Sometime it goes for months without happening.  That is why I have
left it for so long without looking for a fix.

The only way out is to Ctrl-Alt-Fx; login as root killall -u user and
reboot.  It feels like the compose widow has set up a loop.  I say feels
reboot ? Is the system thrashing ?

Probably.  Have tried to get a look at the swap file but run out of
patience waiting for my system monitor.  Don't know how to follow
swap/memory usage at command line.  I will find out now.

like because I have been unable to catch it with top or see if a
continuous swap has been going on.

If disk is thrashing, open up a terminal, and shutdoen evolution, set
memory limits and startup evolution from the terminal.

      $ evolution --force-shutdown
      $ ulimits -v 500000
      $ evolution

Will try.  Haven't been able to get gterm working while window frozen.
Will use xterm (C-A-Fx) next time.  That always seems available.

Try obtaining a bt of evolution from command line, this might help the
developer. ( http://live.gnome.org/GettingTraces )

New learning curve.

It is not a new problem.  I have had it happen to me in FC5, FC6 and now
F-7.  This freezing is rare and seems random, but persistent.
Have you filled a bugzilla  for the same ?

No.  Was asking here first if others have the problem. On some things,
like filing bugs, I am a novice.  I wanted to be sure I have a bug and
not just a case of stupidity.

Is there any way I can capture what is happening. message log doesn't
seem to reveal anything.

ps: i am not a evolution developer.

--
Regards Bill