Re: [Evolution] Upgrade from RH8,evo1.0.8

Barry wrote:
Digging deep here, I noted some November '07 info from Steven Rainwater and
Patrick O'Callaghan in November, upgrading from 1.4.6 to 2.12.1, all in
Redhat format;  my project attempt is from RH8, version 1.0.8 to the latest
in Ubuntu.  I think I'm into something over my head.  I don't know what
Maildir is, nor mh nor mbox.  I'm not able to poke around in source code; I
don't use SpamAssasin - probably should.  And, of course, I have tons of
mail I don't want to lose.  Would I be ahead to set up a local SMTP server,
and mail myself stuff from box A to box B?  Or is there something easy here?
My setup in 1.0.8 is strictly defaults, whatever they are.  No contacts,
just mail  TIA , Barry

Maildir, mh and mbox are all alternative formats for storing mail locally on your PC. Evo used to support all three, but IIRC now only supports mbox, so if your local mail is in some other format you'll have to convert it.

While there are undoubtedly scripts available on the Web for doing this, they won't in general be oriented to Evo users, so they would need some manual massaging of files and directories. The alternative, and recommended, method is to move your local mail to an IMAP server and back again, i.e. use the old version of Evo to move all your local mail to the server, install the new version of Evo, and then move the mail back (or just leave it there if you prefer).

If you don't have access to an IMAP server, Gmail now offers IMAP, though the setup is slightly unusual since they use labels rather than folders.

Note that mailing stuff from one box to another, as you suggest, is going to change header information, particularly dates, so it's a non-transparent process.

poc