Re: [Evolution] UI freezing

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 15:34 -0400, Reid Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 15:16 -0400, Brian L Scipioni wrote:
> The problem I reported earlier about deadlocking etc., had nothing to do
> with freezing - but that also is a new phenomenon that has only been
> happening to me recently.  I'll be typing away in a new message and all
> of a sudden no more characters and Everything freezes.  Then after a
> long time (15 seconds or so) all my buffered characters spit out.  While
> in a freeze, the window will move but not repaint.  If I drag it around
> a lot while it is frozen (trying to wake it up I suppose :-)), it will
> crash.
>
> I've only seen this on my primary home computer, a dual AMD Opteron 252,
> but never on my work computer, a Intel core2duo E6600.  They have
> identical software: FC6 with the 2.6.20-1.2962.fc6 kernel and Evo 2.8.3
> and the same other packages loaded.
>
> The only software difference is at work I exclusively use an IMAP
> client, while at home I primarily use a POP3 client.  That makes sense,
> because I have a sneaking suspicion these locks and freezes are
> associated with I/O.

I am running Intel Core2Due 1.6  FC7  and 2.11.4 however it was happening to me on FC6 as well for some time now.  I've just been living with it.

What happens in my case is I get the Freeze and sometimes in comes back and sometimes it "Passes Out"  window greys out.  I have to force quiet the application then restart it usually that works ok.   I am using IMAP with all of my email accounts except one where I am using exchange.

Occasionally I get this cycle where it passes out almost right away.  I have to use the kill command and kill the evolution-data-server-1.12  evolution-exchange-storage  evolution-alarm-notify   and the client if its running or hung and restart evolution,  then it starts up fast and everything is cool until it happens again.

One thing I noticed by fluke,  if I set both CPU's to 798 or just turn off on demand CPU the passing out happens less if at all.