Re: [Evolution] major problem: changing my Linux without loosing my Evolution mail...

Thank you for this explanation, guenther.

I'll try it.

jmf

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 15:33, Arthur Smith wrote:
Joao,

For backing up in the future... I think this came from this mail list a
while back:

I found this at:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2005-January/msg00117.html
--------------------------------

What is the safe way to backup Evolution data? Is backing
up .evolution/
sufficient enough?

Your data is in ~/.evolution and your settings are stored using GConf in
your ~/.gconf/apps/evolution directory.

Before backing up the Evolution data, close Evolution and it's backend
tasks. Before backing up the settings (in GConf) close the GConf daemon
as well. If either one is running, you might end up with old (not synced
to disk) and probably even broken data.

$ evolution --force-shutdown
$ gconftool-2 --shutdown

For backup purposes only you can omit most of the indexing data.

Restoring the backup is another topic, although very similar to the
above. Make sure Evolution and GConf are not running, while restoring
those dirs.

...guenther