[Evolution] Evoluation and LDAP Address Books?

I've installed and configured openldap and am trying to figure out what
I need to get Evolution to use LDAP for my address book. I've tested
openldap by using phpldapdamin and I can log in and create objects via
the DN I supply to Evolution---in fact, to avoid permission problems
while getting started, I set up the server with

    access to * by * write

I tell Evolution to create an addressbook on the LDAP server, and it
*appears* to do so, but looking via phpldapadmin shows no new
objects. From within Evolution, I can try to add a new contact to that
LDAP address book, but when I attempt to save I get "Error adding
contact. Other error."

I've spent the better part of two days trying to figure out what I need
to set up and a big chunk of that was googling to try and find a
relevant, recent, tutorial (without success). All the things I found
deal with Evolution 1.4 or so and are a couple of years old. I'm working
on a Fedora Core 5 system with Evolution 2.6.3.

Help!

roland
--
                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland rlenter com                            6818 Madeline Court