Re: [Evolution] FC6 (and FC5 updated) Evolution to Exim STARTTLS not supported

On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 19:30 +0800, David Woodhouse wrote:
On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 10:11 +0000, John Austin wrote:
ehlo avon
250-maui.jaa.org.uk Hello avon [148.197.29.3]
250-SIZE 52428800
250-PIPELINING
250 HELP

Your server isn't advertising STARTTLS -- ignore the HELP; it should be
in the EHLO response.

Find out why -- is hosts_advertise_tls set correctly to '*'? Can Exim
find its TLS certificate?

I'm very surprised nobody seems to have seen this.
I have googled quite a lot and asked Fedora and Evolution lists.

If Exim stops advertising TLS after an update then bugzilla.redhat.com
would be the most appropriate way to deal with that.

Hi

Many thanks for your reply

Total ignorance on my behalf!

I was misled into thinking that the older versions of evolution to exim
were using TLS when I selected it from within evolution when they must
have been falling back to clear text mode?

The later version of evolution presumably does not fall back?

In any event exim has never been configured to use TLS !!!!!

Having set the following in /etc/exim/exim.conf and generating the cert
file
#ja_hack
tls_advertise_hosts = 148.197.29.3/32
tls_certificate = /etc/exim/cert
tls_privatekey = /etc/exim/cert

all works OK

ethereal/wireshark shows the communication between evolution and exim
which is now advertising STARTTLS and the exchanges are now encrypted.

Regards
John