Re: [Evolution] Evolution 2.6.1 html email issue - backwards typing

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 08:10 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 13:43 +0200, Erik Slagter wrote:
On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 00:01 -0500, Peter Van Lone wrote:

- rant on -
html email is only evil 5-7 years ago. Or, today for systems and users
that measure storage and processor time, or bandwidth, in terms that
were prevalent 5-7 years ago.

Today ... html email is required. It is still de-riguer on lists, etc
... and I am used to it being "more polite". But html email is here to
stay, as is using the email system as "knowledge management" not just
sending/receiving small text messages.
- rant off -

You surely must be joking. The argument of more space/bandwidth has
never been valid.

You've never used a 28.8kbps modem to fetch email, have you?

There was a time when uucp-at-9600bps was how much email was
transmitted.  HTML mail would have been a disaster.

Actually I did, be it fidonet mail at 1200/75 bps.

OTOH ascii compresses very well and HTML mail even more...

Even now, high-volume lists like lkml would double or treble the
needed bandwidth and disk space needed if everyone used html.

I doesn't have my preference as well, but it's not the most important
reason for me.