Re: [Evolution] missing/broken Evolution icons on FreeBSD 5.4 after portupgrade

Hi guenther,

You are correct in guessing that I use KDE.
I had the latest gnome-icon-theme and hicolor-icon-theme installed,
but I did "portupgrade -f gnome-icon-theme hicolor-icon-theme" anyway.
After restarting XWindows, icons were still missing as shown in the
screen-capture on my blog http://shakh.blogspot.com

I am not sure how to start gnome-settings-daemon.  It looks to me as
though it is a part of sysutils/gnomecontrolcenter2, which does not
seem to be installed.  However, I have been running Evolution for more
than 1.5 years now.

Thanks for your help.  Let me know if there is any other information I
can provide, and/or what to do from here.

Daniel

On 5/9/06, guenther <guenther rudersport de> wrote:

> I am running FreeBSD 5.4 and recently upgraded all installed ports
> (portupgrade -a).  Now I am missing icons/images in Evolution, which
> display a page with a red X instead.
>
> Icons that don't work:  New, Send/Recieve, flags, folder icons in Side Bar..
> Icons that do work:  Print, Delete, Cancel..
>
> How can I resolve this problem?

Sounds familiar in various ways.

(a) You need to install gnome-icon-theme and hicolor-icon-theme.
(b) Came across this very topic recently on IRC, FreeBSD too.
Turned out that guy was using Evolution with a KDE desktop, but the
gnome-settings-daemon was not started for him.

Not sure if this is specific to your system/packager, but judging from
questions related to this, it likely is.

Anyway, try starting gnome-settings-daemon, and I am pretty sure this
will fix things. Just as well as I am pretty positive that you are
running KDE, without you mentioning it. ;-)

...guenther