[Evolution] can't stop evolution ; which files are needed to synchronize/backup ?

hi all,

I'm starting to use evolution, and I have a couple of obvious questions -- sorry to bother about these, but I
couldn't find on the net:

1) how to stop evolution, so I can back it up ?

looking in the net, I tried:

$ gconftool-2 --shutdown ; evolution --force-shutdown

but this was to no avail, the deamon processes (/usr/lib/evolution/evolution-data-server-1.6 and
/usr/lib/evolution/2.6/evolution-exchange-storage) always restart a few seconds after.

2) what do I need to backup or to synchronize if I want to move the emails to the laptop and then back to a
desktop ? (i'm using "unison" for the task)

i'm guessing that it is only the ".evolution" directory, right ?

many thanks for any help!!!

- jan