Re: [Evolution] evolution and large mails

----- Original Message -----
From: "James White" <james resolutionit ca>
To: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] evolution and large mails
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 10:03:29 -0400

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 01:17 -0400, Igor A. Nesterov wrote:
I am not here on this forum to give advices, but in my opinion for
people not accustomed to fixing and troubleshooting software it would be
a good idea to switch to Thunderbird. It's not to say that Thunderbird
is "better". But from my own experience it is a way more stable and
mature application. Which is probably the biggest point for you, isn't
it?

Great point.  I have spent years supporting users in an Outlook/Exchange
environment and I can tell you that life is no simpler there.  Different
problems sometimes - but just as difficult.

When you choose to use the big features of the big tools - you need to
have access to someone who really understands the systems or you end up
lost.

I, too, can strongly recommend Thunderbird as the best email client for
a "normal" user trying to go it on their own.

Interesting comments, thanks. I have recently started using Ubuntu Linux after about 12 years on Windows
running my small business with a few networked PCs. I know little about computers and software but I managed
without external support during that time, using Win95 then Win98 and learning what I needed as necessary
from books and the Web.

But I'm unusual as a Windows user in that I've never used Outlook Express. I used Turnpike email software
which was developed by a small company called Turnpike in the UK and provided by my ISP (Demon Internet) as
part of their package. Turnpike was very quirky and nothing like Outlook or Evolution but it has never let me
down in about 8 years even though it has accumulated about 6000 email messages/attachments on each PC, from
all over the world and with all sorts of content. Being quirky, it also helped protect me from security
threats!

So I guess I have been spoilt by this experience. I got my Evolution problem solved through this mailing list
but it was fortunate that at this time I am still running a PC with Turnpike and had access to my mail during
the problem. I may well install Thunderbird as well as Evolution for a time and see (a) how well Evo
continues to perform and (b) how well Thunderbird suits me. I was using Evo because it comes as default with
Ubuntu and I'm trying to stay with the default packages where possible.

Peter