Re: [Evolution] Evolution not working - SOLVED

----- Original Message -----
From: guenther <guenther rudersport de>
To: evolution-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution] Evolution not working - SOLVED
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 03:59:55 +0200

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 10:02 +0100, Peter Barnes wrote:
[This message has information on how my initial problem, caused by an
email message, was solved through the mailing list and then also the
solution of a secondary related problem caused by me being careless. I
still have the offending email and can provide this for examination.]

[...]

Who would like to examine the email and how can I transfer it without
getting the problem again? It would be great if this could help
prevent others suffering the same problem in future.

Since you managed to get Evo back to the state, where the (pre)view pane
was disabled and there was no per-folder state saved for the Trash
folder (that means, it used to be in the state defined by the global
option), these steps should work: [1]

* Got to your Inbox. Disable the global (pre)view option:
   View / Message Preview
   Due to [1], this disabled preview state should now be the state for
   the Trash folder as well.

* Go to your Trash folder. Since the (pre)view is disabled, this is fine
   and will not crash no matter what mail is selected.

* Select the mail that crashed Evo in the mail list. Do *not* open the
   mail in a window (that means, do not double click the mail, and do not
   hit enter after you selected the mail). Do *not* enable the (pre)view
   either.

* Save the mail: File / Save Message

* Now select any other mail in the Trash folder, to avoid opening that
   mail by accident, when next going to the Trash folder.

If the above steps do not work, my previous post with the detailed
instructions should outline how to recover from that. However, I am
pretty positive the above works... :)

Put that file you just saved (the raw mail) in an archive! You can use
the Archive Manager (on a GNOME Desktop) for that, or you can simply
right click the file in your File Browser and select Create Archive.

You can now safely attach that *archive* to any mail. Since this is not
the raw mail but an archive, Evo will not display the contents inline.
This is to make sure it will not crash Evo later again by accident when
viewing your Sent mail folder.

If you want, please send that archive to me personally, not to the list.
I will have a look at it and see what we can do about it.

I want to say thanks to all on the mailing list who have helped me
through this difficult problem.

We are glad this issue is solved and you now can use Evo again. :)

...guenther

I've followed your directions and mailed the archive file to you at your personal address from my home email
address.
Thanks for all the help.
Peter