Re: [Evolution] delay when sending mail

Actually, the point of discussion is not even an actual time consumed by
sending a message. It might be fast, I do not know that. What we are
talking about is a sending time perceived by user. It's a time between
clicking Send in compose window and the Outbox(1) line going from bold
to normal. In Evolution this time is abnormally long.

No.

The time between finishing composition of a mail and that very mail
being actually sent (including the un-bolding of Outbox) is *not*
"abnormally long" in Evolution. It may be the case for *you* with your
particular environment. Please do not over generalize, just because you
happen to have an issue.

In fact, every single mail I send that stays in Outbox for longer than 2
seconds for me includes large-ish attachments.

People on network
expect messages to be sent immediately. If they see it staying
undelivered for half of minute, they start wandering what's going on?

Yes, and there has been a time where people started asking, rather than
complaining and pointing fingers. So you do have an issue. That does not
mean, this is inherently an issue with the software.

This very well may be related to your system configuration or the SMTP
server. Beside the already mentioned IDENT lookup, SMTP servers can
perform a lot of tasks and checks on a mail before closing the data
stream and actually accepting the mail for transport. Including costly
spam and virus checks.

Another hint may be your settings in Evo. As a matter of fact I
coincidentally had a similar issue just yesterday. A guy mentioned, all
his mail is staying for 10-15 *minutes* in the Outbox, before it
actually gets sent. Turned out he enabled TLS, although he didn't mean
to. After correcting his settings, all worked just fine.

...guenther