Re: [Evolution] delay when sending mail

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 17:53 -0400, Igor A. Nesterov wrote:
On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 14:22 -0700, Derrick MacPherson wrote:
It is SMTP sending mechanism. SMTP server is on corporate intranet with
a good response time. I could understand that the time while a message
stays in Outbox is actually consumed by the process of establishing SMTP
connection, but then it's the slowest one I ever seen among other mail
clients. Therefore, I still believe that Evolution does not try to send
a message immediately. How is it done internally? Is there a sort of
timer based poll for messages in Outbox or some other reason for the
delay?

That almost sounds like the SMTP server is doing an ident lookup on you.

No, it's one of the corporate servers not requiring authentication. This
is why I stat thinking that the delay is due to Evolution
implementation.

I have to say, since I upgrade both Gnome and Evolution, both of these
problems have resolved themselves.  Large messages are no longer a
problem, mail sends immediately and the memory leaks are largely
improved (but still happen with inline graphics I think).

I have also disabled junk mail checking because is suspect that some of
the memory leaks were there.

Are you using Gnome 2.14?  Huge increase in speed.  Evolution 2.6.1 is
an improvement as well.  Things are feeling pretty "post-beta" now on my
desktop.

I actually returned to Evolution after the upgrade - I had been using
Thunderbird because Evolution was just too unstable and slow.

James White