[Evolution] Read/write problem for LDAP contacts

I am having problems creating/editing contacts on my email provider's
(Tuffmail) LDAP server.

I have entered the settings into the new address book dialogue box
exactly as my email provider has shown. After creating the account and
accessing the address book, it asks for a password. After entering my
password, I can then search the LDAP address book as normal.

However, I cannot edit or create any contacts. All the field names are
greyed out which I presume shows that the address book is read only.

The settings I enter into the new address book property box is as
follows:

Server: ldap.mxes.net
Port: 389

Use secure connection: No ecryption

Login method: Using distinguised name (DN)
Login: cn=my_mailbox_name,ou=auth,dc=mxes,dc=net

Search base: ou=my_mailbox_name,ou=ab,dc=mxes,dc=net

Search scope: one

Note that when I click on the 'Find Possible Search Bases' button in the
Address Book Properties box, after a short pause an error box appears
saying:

"Failed to authenticate with LDAP server.

Check to make sure your password is spelled correctly and that you are
using a supported login method. Remember that many passwords are case
sensitive; your caps lock might be on."

The Tuffmail support guys said that there is nothing wrong with my LDAP
settings entered. Also Kontact (for KDE) works with read/write on this
LDAP server so I do not think that it is a server problem.

Any ideas? I really need this to work!

Thanks.