Re: [Evolution] ASCII version of an HTML table...

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 12:55 -0800, Dan Stromberg wrote:
I'm increasingly finding that I like being able to compose messages with
HTML tables in them.  They're a really good way of presentation some kinds
of information.

hmph, don't get me started on evolution's handling of html tables when
composing in text mode... but that's not quite what you're talking about
anyway...

Is there any way of improving this - perhaps by getting evo to run an
HTML table through "links -dump" or similar to get a better ASCII version
of the tables, or rather of HTML documents in general, which happens to
include tables?

A solution might be to make a filter to pipe your draft to an external
script, which could do a links -dump on it, and then add a plain-text
component, and copy it back to your drafts folder, or something.

Its a bit convoluted, but it would let you tailer the output just how
you want it, and once you have the process working, it'd be quite fast,
especially for lots of emails.

Alternatively, you _might_ be able to edit the local file that evo
stores its mail in (close evo first) and pretty it up by hand there,
before you send it.

HTH,

A penny saved is a penny taxed.