Re: [Evolution] GPG support

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 19:40 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
Where is the documentation?  What in the heck is supposed to go in the
"PGP/GPG Key ID" field?

I assume you mean in the Mail Account Editor (settings) window for a
particular mail account.  If so, those of us using PGP/GPG enter into
that box the key ID of whichever key corresponds to that mail
address/account.  Evo will use it for various signing and encryption
functions for that mail account.

The key ID is usually listed in the first line of output for a
particular key.  Take mine, for example:

pub  1024D/EAC33B8D 2004/11/22 Greg Tassone <greg tassone net>

My key ID in the line above is "EAC33B8D"; this is what I entered into
Evo.

I added someone's key to my GPG keyring and now their messages say
"Valid signature, cannot verify sender".  Why not?  How do I get it to
be able to verify the sender?

That message means that GPG cannot guarantee that the sender is really
who they say they are.  In other words, the message is valid and wass
really signed by that key, but you haven't given GPG a way to be sure
that the key really belongs to the sender.

On a technical level, you haven't signed their GPG key in your keyring,
and/or their GPG key hasn't been signed/validated by enough users that
you marginally trust yourself (assuming the classic trust model).
Either of those cases would change the message to:

"Valid Signature" (in a green bar)

Therefore, the way to correct that (if it's important enough to you) is
by taking steps to validate major keys on your GPG keyring.  Once you
validate that each key really does come from the person purporting to
own it, you sign it with your own key and upload it back to the Web of
keyservers out there.  Then, users like me can choose to trust how
carefully you check the keys of others, and if enough of our friends do
this, we will trust that key as well.

More depth is probably beyond the scope of this list.  Feel free to
check out the GnuPG Web site (http://www.gnupg.org/) documentation on
the "Web of Trust" and "key signing" for all the goodies.

Hope that helps.

Greg