[Evolution] Calendar views in 2.4.0: how do I get them?

I'm using Evolution 2.4.0 under Suse 10.0, and I have a problem with calendar views.  No matter what I choose, the only view I get is a list of dates - such as the output of the Unix command "cal 2006" - as shown in the accompanying screenshot.  If I choose day, week, month, all that happens is that list of dates is highlighted; the view itself is unchanged.  How do I obtain proper calendar views?

Thanks,
Alasdair