[Evolution] Weird rsync problem

I keep copies of my desktop and laptop .evolution directories in sync
with rsync.  I've got a strange problem with mail not being deleted.

Basically I have a block of messages from roughly two weeks ago that
keep on reappearing in my Inbox folder, even though I routinely delete
them.  I think that one of these boxes crashed around the time the
problem started.

I thought that it might simply be a timing issue related to when I do
the rsync's, so I deleted the entire .evolution directory from the
laptop, updated my mail files on the desktop, shut down evolution
(completely, as checked with ps uxwww | grep evolution) and then copied
the desktop .evolution back to the laptop.

The files reappear, first on the laptop, and then (after an rsync) on
the desktop.

Either:  1) the laptop is haunted.
         2) there is some other place where these messages are kept (and it's
not in /var/spool/mail)

Any suggestions?

David