Re: [Evolution] Word Wraping in Message Verticail Preview (Side-bySide)??

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 17:16 -0500, Saikat Guha wrote:
On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 17:51 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
This is a FAQ and AFAIK you can't do it. The wrap boundary appears to be
hardwired at 70 characters, which apparently is inscribed in some
standard or other.

If it's a FAQ, can someone please tell me which "standard" this is?

From RFC-2822 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html):

"2.1.1. Line Length Limits

   There are two limits that this standard places on the number of
   characters in a line. Each line of characters MUST be no more than
   998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding
   the CRLF."

The RFC linked does NOT apply. From the RFC:

1.1. Scope
        Note: This standard is not intended to dictate the internal
        formats
        used by sites, the specific message system features that they are
        expected to support, or *any of the characteristics of user interface
        programs that create or read messages*.

(emphasis added)

There is nothing that requires a mailer to *display* messages
hard-wrapped at n characters. The RFC linked only applies to
messages on the wire so to speak.

Fair enough.

Back to the OP's question:
  Why does evolution not have a re-wrap feature?

I've no idea. I'm not a developer of Evo, but this question has been
asked before on the list and the answer has been along the lines I've
already mentioned (but evidently based on some other standards doc than
RFC-2822), thus my use of the terms "AFAIK" and "apparently".

poc