[Evolution] working tls support?

Hi!

How far is the TLS support in Evolution at this stage? My SMTP server
supports TLS authentication on port 25. i.e. EHLO will return STARTTLS.

Somehow though, Evolution 2.2.3 (on gentoo) defaults to port 465 when
using the "use secure connection: always". In addition, if I manually set
the port like this: "host: mail.myhost.com:25" (domain name changed here,
but correctly set in my mail client), Evolution seems to no longer try to
connect to port 465, but authentication stil doesn't work (Check for
supported authentication types runs on until manually cancelled).

I've looked around this list and several newsgroups, but most posts
regarding TLS refer to versions of Evolution 1.x. So is this supposed to
work, or is it planned for future releases?

Thanks. Igor