[Evolution] Evolution-exchange online slow start

  Hello all,
          I wonder if anyone has any tips how to start evolution?
I mark my exchange 2003 account as available for offline use, great.
When I start up offline in a few seconds all my old mail is there.

  However, when I start online it takes a couple of minutes even on a
fast link to check my folders and download any changes before I can do
anything.

   Is there some way I could have access to the old information while it
is updateing, as e.g. Thunderbird does? This gives a much snappier feel.

  Any suggestions gratefully received.
        Bill