[Evolution] Problem initializing inbox

I am using an older version of Evolution (1.2.2) on my Redhat 9 Laptop.  It has been working well for over 18
months.  However, within the past week or so, I can no longer receive any mail.  When Evolution comes up it
says:

Scanning for summary information
Fetching summary information for new messages (x %)

When it reaches 100% complete, it immediately starts scanning for summary information again, and fetching it,
in an infinite loop.

A second symptom is that I cannot cleanly stop Evolution.  I can only stop it by using killev from the
command line.

I am hoping there is some simple problem here.  Could anyone provide any guidance on this?

Mike Crowe