[Evolution] evolution 2.2.1.1 and exchange connector: cannot authenticate

Dear all,

I upgrade my installation of evolution 2.0.3 to 2.2.1.1 environment
including:

        Evolution 2.2.1.1
        Evolution Data Server 1.2.1
        Gtkhtml 3.6.1
        Gal 2.4.1
        Soup 2.2.3
        Exchange Connector 2.2.1

I'm running running gnome 2.8.2.1 so I got the above sources and
compiled them.

However, when I try to set-up evolution in connect to the exchange
server at work, I always get the the following message in the terminal
where evolution was started:

        operation is not possible without initialized secure memory
        maybe you are using the wrong program ...

independent on whether I try to set-up the account via evolution
(clicking the authenticate button after entering the owa URL) or going
directly through ximian-connector-setup-2.2.

Somewhere I read a reference about libsoup using gnutls instead of ssl
causing that. However, I explicitly compiled libsoup again with
--enablep-ssl to no avail.

Any hint on how I might be able to solve this would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks and cheers,

        Riko